The Nautical Rock Singer, Songwriter, Historian!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Gibson 335


This Gibson 335 has to be one of my most prized possessions. Obviously because it is a classic guitar model used by nearly everyone (Chuck Berry, BB King, Eric Clapton, etc) but also because it belonged to my Dad. The 335 was his main guitar during his touring years of the late 70's & early 80's. He told me he bought it in Ventura, CA at a music shop on main street around 1976. I asked him why he decided on the 335 and he said his main reason was because he knew that Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues played one and he was a big fan of the Moody's. I have a very clear memory of the first time I ever saw this guitar. I was 4 years old sitting on my parents bed and I asked my Dad about his acoustic guitar. He handed it to me and attempted to show me how to play a chord. The neck was far too thick for my four year old hand, so he went into his closet and pulled out a big black case. He opened it up and inside was his 335. The neck was very thin and much easier for me to play a chord. It was my first experience with a electric guitar and I will always remember it well. These days my Dad plays bass (in my band in fact) and has given me the 335. I haven't been using it much as I have been having a long affair with my Telecaster....but last week I dusted of the 335 and used on my latest song "Frida At The Harbor". You can listen to that recording below and get a good idea of what the 335 sounds like.
Fun Fact: Curtis RX has used this guitar live many times