The Nautical Rock Singer, Songwriter, Historian!

Monday, July 6, 2009

1960's Cover Project: Song 2 - Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)

Photobucket
"Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)"

(click the divshare logo to download)
The first track off the second disc of the 1966 double album Blonde on Blonde, the seventh album from singer-songwriter Bob Dylan. The lyrics speak of a man who has grown tired of the constant guessing at his partner's feelings and is going to move on with his life rather than continue fighting the unpredictability of his partner. The song presents a feeling of change and movement that was one of the trademarks of the 1960s. This song has a swinging beat and is representative of the album's sound as a whole.
I've always admired this song's lyrics and phrasing. Dylan is (obviously) the master of phrasing and I cannot say enough on how much of a influence he has been on my writing. "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)" was a bit of a challenge for me as far as the vocals were concerned. I tried giving it my own feel, but really had to let some of the Dylan style creep through just a bit. My favorite line in the whole song has to be "you say my kisses are not like his, and i'm not gonna tell you why that is, i'm just gonna let you pass, yes and i'll go last...." such venom and yet so calm in its delivery. Dylan is the man. Go find his version right now!

No comments: